ABOUT US

HISTORY OF KNOX PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
AND ACTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

According to history, Harvey was settled for the most part by a party of about 160 in all who left Berwick, Scotland, and landed in Saint John. From there they proceeded to Fredericton where they were more or less stranded for a time because of lack of work. The company they had expected to work with had shut down. Sir John Harvey, then Governor of New Brunswick, and Lemuel Wilmot, who later became Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick, interviewed these immigrants and were informed that they wished to settle together on a tract of land between Fredericton and St. Andrews. Thus a spot about 25 miles from Fredericton became known as Harvey Settlement. Fifty (50) acres of land was granted to each settler. In 1850 another group of families arrived to a 1000 acre block to the rear of Oromocto Lake which became known as Tweedside.

Photo - Knox Presbyterian Church exterior
Knox Presbyterian Church

The congregation of Harvey was organized on August 13,1840, and at the first communion held the following Sabbath, the congregation then consisted of 47 members.

Photo - Knox Presbyterian Church exterior
Knox Presbyterian Church

From 1841 to 1851, Rev. Daniel McCurdy ministered the congregation. Other ministers who folČlowed were Rev. Samuel Johnston (1856 -1876), Rev. Edward Roberts (1876 -1881), Rev. Robert Nairn (1882-1885), Rev. James McLean (1886-1907), Rev. Malcolm MacPherson (1908-1914), Rev. Jamieson McKay (1914 -1918), Rev. Hugh MacLean (1921 -1925), Rev. George Knight (1925 -1934), Rev. R. J. Kirkland (1935 -1938), Rev. Allison O. MacLean (1939 student and 1940 -1943), Rev. James G MacDonald (1944 -1945), Rev. Atholl H. Sproule (1946 -1953), Rev. S.R. Jackson (1956 -1981), Rev. David Dewar (1982 -1998) and Rev. Bonnie Wynn (1999 - present).

Photo - Knox Presbyterian Church exterior

Members of the first Kirk Session in 1856 were Thomas Craig, John Thompson, Thomas Piercy, Thomas Herbert and James Nesbit. John Taylor and Matt Piercy were added later in 1856. The first church occupied a site across the highway from the present sanctuary. In 1925, a vote was taken and the majority of the members voted to join with other churches to form The United Church in Canada. However, those members who wanted to remain Presbyterian withdrew their membership from this newly formed church and they became known as the continuing Presbyterian Church. The present church, Knox, was dedicated in June, 1927. On July 11,1971, a Christian Education Centre was dedicated which housed a Ladies Parlour, a study and numerous Sunday School classrooms.

Photo - Knox Presbyterian Church exterior

There are currently about 315 members on record at Knox and Acton. Being in the centre of lake country, we enjoy the fellowship of cattagers at our summer services at both Acton and Knox.

Photo - Knox Presbyterian Church exterior

The Young Peoples' Hall, which originally sat next door to the church building, was moved to its present site in 1996 and is now attached to the main church complex. The dedication of the new attached hall took place in the spring of 1999.

Photo - Knox Presbyterian Church exterior
Acton Presbyterian Church

A second Presbyterian Church, located at Acton, was dedicated in 1868. Services are conducted at this church from early May until late October.

Graphic - arrow Return to Top of Page